November is traditionally the month the church has dedicated to prayers for the dead. Of course this is something the church does all year round, but this time of the year is set aside specifically to remember those who have gone before us. Not only does the changing of the season mean the death of vegetation, but late November/early December brings about the end of the liturgical year and the beginning of a new one with Advent. Here is a brief history of the cemetery at Mount Saint Joseph.
The first cemetery on the property was on the northwest knoll where now stands the Sacred Heart Statue, next to the pines. It was opened Dec. 27, 1901 by Mother Augustine Bloemer, Local Superior, and Reverend Daniel J. Gallagher, chaplain. The cemetery was 40’ x 40’ and was enclosed by an iron fence which had been discarded from the Court House Square in Owensboro, Ky. Lena Houser, an orphan, was the first grave placed in this cemetery.
At this time Sister Rosina Sedelmeier and Sister Margaret Mary Rodman’s remains were transferred here from across the street at the St. Alphonsus cemetery (they had died in 1879 and earlier in 1901).
In 1910 the cemetery was moved to the east side of the campus, its current and permanent location. The addition of the crucifix was made on July 21, 1947.
The Mount Saint Joseph Cemetery is the resting place for the remains of the Ursuline Sisters of Mount Saint Joseph. It also includes the graves of many priests, including Maple Mount’s founder Father Paul Volk and other former chaplains. There are also included here several graves of lay persons.