While unpacking Belleville records, we came across this small jewelry case with rings of deceased Ursuline Sisters. These worn out, humble rings signify a sister’s union to Christ as bride. The rings bear the inscription “IHS,” a Greek monogram for the name of Jesus Christ.
Until the late 1960s, women entering the Ursuline community would on her investment day wear a wedding gown. This day marked her official entrance into the community.
The two pictures below are of young women entering with the Ursuline Sisters of Belleville in the late 1950s, which at that time was still with the Ursuline Sisters of Mount Calvary, Germany.
The two photos are of investment day at Mount St. Joseph. The photo on the left is from 1917, while the photo on the right is from 1964.