The Core Planning Committee responsible for an April three-day celebration for the Ursuline Sisters in Marion County, Ky., came to Maple Mount on Oct. 17 bearing more gifts.
From April 27-29, the Ursuline Sisters were honored in Lebanon for 101 years of service to the central Kentucky county. Sisters first began teaching in the public schools there in 1911, a year before becoming an independent community, and an Ursuline presence has never been lost since then. Sister Mary Lois Speaks continues to serve in outreach in the county.
The celebration in April included two Masses, a reception for sisters who taught in Marion County or who are natives, a dinner/dance and the dedication of a public monument honoring the sisters. It was held this year to honor the sisters’ 100th anniversary as an independent community.
On Oct. 17, Sister Mary Lois, Associate Phyllis Troutman and the committee members brought the final pieces of the celebration. Jane Ballard and Helen Caldwell unfurled a banner they created with blocks made of photos of Marion County and the sisters. Judy Bickett displayed a framed collage of photos taken during the celebration, and Troutman presented Sister Sharon Sullivan, congregational leader, with a commemorative Makers Mark bottle.
The biggest surprise was an oversized check for $5,000 donated for Ursuline ministries, which Troutman gave to Sister Sharon. (She also brought a normal-sized check suitable for cashing.)
“This wasn’t even a fundraiser, it was a celebration,” Sister Sharon said.
Sister Mary Lois asked if the banner and collage could be loaned back to Marion County to display, and the community agreed.