Skip to content

Sister Aquina Losson

Date of Birth
November 30, 1886
Date of Death
November 11, 1967
Age at Death
80 years
Marker Location
Row B No. 28

Born Nov. 30, 1886, in Bardstown, Ky., Eulalia was the daughter of John and Sarah Wilson Losson. She received her secondary education at Bethlehem Academy in Bardstown and at Nazareth Academy conducted by the Sister of Charity of Nazareth, also at Bardstown. Eulalia entered the novitiate at Mount Saint Joseph when she was 19 and four months later on June 3, 1906, she received the Ursuline habit and the name Sister Aquina.

Sister Aquina was prepared for the teaching apostolate and was first assigned to St. James School in Louisville. Two years later she was missioned to St. Romuald School in Hardinsburg, Ky., for a year, then to St. William School at Knottsville, Ky., where she taught high school subjects for eight years. She was among the first Sisters missioned to Nebraska in 1918, teaching at Wynot and Nebraska City. In 1922, she began two years of full-time study at The Catholic University of America. She returned to Kentucky and served as supervisor in Louisville for seven years. She then spent two years in full-time study in Chicago at De Paul University and the University of Chicago. She returned to the following high schools in the Kentucky, teaching Latin and dramatics: Mount Saint Joseph Academy (1933-1938), Peonia, St. Charles, Waverly, Mount Saint Joseph Academy (1943-1952), and St. Paul (Leitchfield). Beginning in 1954, she served three years as a substitute teacher at Blessed Mother (Owensboro), New Haven, Holy Cross, Stanley and Hardinsburg, all in Kentucky. She taught grades 5 and 6 for the next seven years at Sts. Joseph and Paul and Blessed Mother (Owensboro), and St. Denis (Shively).

Sister Aquina retired to Mount Saint Joseph in 1964.  Death came to her on November 11, 1967. Two days later, Msgr. Albert Thompson (who preached the sermon) and Father Bernard Powers, chaplain, celebrated the funeral Mass. Sister Aquina’s remains are buried in the convent cemetery.