What are the attributes of an Ursuline Sister?
- An openness to the movement of God in one’s life.
- Age-appropriate faith development, religious activities, and prayer life.
- Appropriate self-disclosure, communication skills, and openness to discernment.
- Appropriate sense of self and one’s own sexuality.
- Ability and desire to live in community for mission and ministry.
- Attraction to the spirit and charism of St. Angela Merici.
- Physical health, energy, and emotional stability to sustain active community life while involved in fulltime ministry.
What are the stages of formation?
Contact Program: There is no formal commitment on either part. This is a period of getting to know each other.
Postulancy / Pre-Candidacy: This time provides for a realistic experience of community living within a local community, so that the postulant and the congregation can mutually ascertain her readiness for admission to the novitiate.
Novitiate: The aim of the novitiate is to initiate the woman into the basic requirements of vowed life as an Ursuline Sister of Mount Saint Joseph, and to help her integrate her religious vocation into the total mission of the church.
Temporary Profession: A novice enters into membership in the congregation at the time of temporary profession. She professes chastity, poverty, obedience and instruction.
Perpetual Profession: A sister is admitted to perpetual profession by the congregational leader after consultation with the director of temporary professed and the consent of the council. At the time of perpetual profession, a sister becomes a full member of the congregation.
If you’re considering joining the Ursulines or would like more information, please email Sister Monica Seaton at [email protected]