Deconstruction at Maple Mount will soon shift to the south part of campus and the removal of Paul Volk Hall, the former residence for some Sisters. Deconstruction will not begin until all plumbing and wiring is rerouted to maintain service to the rest of the campus, but the first visible change to the building occurred on May 31, 2023, when the metal cross was removed from the exterior.
The cross has hung on the building since Paul Volk Hall was dedicated on March 19, 1982. It was named for the priest who invited the Ursuline Sisters to Maple Mount in 1874 to open Mount Saint Joseph Academy. The building was closed in 2021 due to extensive plumbing issues, and a decreased need for residential space. Workers had to cut the connection of the cross from the building. Here are some photos of the removal.