|View printer friendly timeline|
The Ursulines of Mount Saint Joseph trace their origin to Saint Angela Merici, who founded the first teaching order of women in the Church, the Company of Saint Ursula, in Brescia, Italy, in 1535. In 1858, Bishop Martin John Spalding invited the Ursulines from Straubing, Bavaria, to establish a foundation in Louisville, Kentucky.
At the request of Father Paul Joseph Volk, five Ursuline Sisters came from Louisville in 1874 to establish a school in western Daviess County at the site that is now Maple Mount, Kentucky. In 1912, the Ursuline Sisters of Mount Saint Joseph became an autonomous congregation.
Maple Mount, Kentucky is the home of the Ursuline Sisters of Mount Saint Joseph, women religious who live an apostolic life supported by prayer and contemplation. They proclaim Jesus to all people through the ministry of education and Christian formation.
Currently numbering over 150, the Ursuline Sisters of Mount Saint Joseph minister in the states of Kentucky, Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, New Mexico, Tennessee, Washington, D.C., and in Chile, South America.
The first building at Mount Saint Joseph (shown left) was the first Motherhouse for Roman Catholic Sisters in Kentucky west of Louisville and the oldest girls’ Academy in Daviess County. It was founded on August 14, 1874. By 1912, 78 girls had graduated from the Academy and 89 Ursuline Sisters had lived and worked at Mount Saint Joseph.