The Ursuline Sisters were invited to a Catholic church in Meade County, Ky., which is preserving its history with a new Family Life Center – which includes five Ursuline Sisters of Mount Saint Joseph who came from the parish.
The original St. Theresa Church in Rhodelia was built in 1818, and its school began in 1866. On Oct. 15, 2022, the parish celebrated the blessing of its Family Life Center, which will serve to share the long history with future generations. Ursuline Sisters Suzanne Sims, Ann Patrice Cecil and George Mary Hagan represented the Ursuline Sisters.
The Sisters of Charity ran St. Theresa School from 1870-2002, a total of 122 years. The center honors all the sons and daughters of the parish who became religious sisters, religious brothers or priests, as well as their ancestors in faith. There was no Catholic high school in Rhodelia, so some of students attended St. Romuald High School in Hardinsburg, where they met the Ursuline Sisters.
The five members of the parish who became Ursulines were Sister Mary Amadeus Pike, Sister Geraldine Jarboe, Sister Elizabeth Ann Ray, Sister Ruth Helen Flaherty and Sister Marita Greenwell.
Two priests who came from the parish – Father Ron Knott and Father Bob Ray – spearheaded the project. Father Ray is the nephew of Sister Elizabeth Ann Ray. He came to Maple Mount to do research work in the Archives for this center.
Here are some photos from the event: